Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

What Do You Do for a Living?



When I was a kid, if you were to ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would have talked your ear off about how I'd have a great big garden to grow tea and medicine, I'd paint every day, take care of animals, make books and help people. There was no single 'job' I was chasing after back then and I never understood how anyone could choose just one thing to be.

To me, being grown up meant being free to do what you want, to be powerful enough, old enough to carve for yourself a lifestyle you love. It wasn't about what job you'd have, what you did to make a living - that was only a means to an end.

I still feel that way. I feel like your life is not your job, work is a way to make enough money to spend your free time able to do what you love. Some people are lucky enough that what they love makes them money, and that's an enviable position to be in, that's for sure. That's not always possible, though.

When someone asks me "What do you do for a living?" 

I've never replied "I'm a cashier." "I'm a music store slave." "I refill ink cartridges." Or even "I'm just a mom" (Don't even get me started on the phrase 'just a Mom'..). 

I answer with the things I do that make me feel like life is worth living..

I cook good food for my family.
I make art.
I knit things.
I write.

That's what I do for a 'living'. 

The things you love to do the most is your life's work, regardless of whether society puts a dollar value on it or not. 

You can't buy happiness, you need to make it yourself, by living.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading. Drop me a note, I'd love to check out your blog <3